GCPD was a planned television series, based on the DC Comics police department of the same name. The series would've served as a prequel to The Batman and been the first television series to be set in The Batman Universe. The series was to be produced by Warner Bros. Television and 6th & Idaho and would be released on HBO Max. However, plans for the series changed as the story has now been evolved and altered into a completely new series revolving around Arkham Asylum. On March 6, 2022, Matt Reeves confirmed that the series was not going forward.
The show was rumored to be a prequel, set in Batman's first year of crimefighting, through the lens of a cop working in the GCPD.
On July 10, 2020, it was announced that HBO Max and Matt Reeves would be producing a new police drama series based on the world of the upcoming 2021 film The Batman. Terrence Winter was announced with attached as writer and executive producer, with The Batman director Matt Reeves and the film's producer Dylan Clark as executive producers. From 6th & Idaho, Daniel Pipski and Adam Kassan were also announced as executive producers, as well as Rafi Crohn as co-executive producer.
On November 17, 2020, it was announced that original series writer, Terrence Winter, had dropped from the series, due to a disagreement in vision with director Matt Reeves, and producers. A new showrunner and writer is being searched for after Winter's exit.
On January 11, 2021, the Deadline reported that Joe Barton was announced as the new showrunner.
On March 12, 2021, during the AT&T Analyst & Investor Day 2021 call, WarnerMedia revealed the current DC adaptation slate and it also revealed that the title of the series as GCPD.
On August 9, 2021, it was reported that the working title of the TV series is "Arkham".
On March 6, 2022, it was reported by Reeves that the GCPD series had "Evolved" into the now Untitled Arkham Asylum series, with Reeves explaining that HBO had creative issues with the project, especially with its protagonist being a corrupt cop, and they encouraged Reeves to focus on existing comics characters instead.
Despite the show seemingly being cancelled in March 2022, Reeves has stated he still hopes to revisit the premise sometime in the future.
- "‘The Batman’: Joe Barton Joins HBO Max’s TV Series As Showrunner Following Terence Winter Departure" - Deadline
- "WarnerMedia Reveals All The DC Movies And TV Shows It's Currently Working On" - GameSpot
- Prequel Cop Series Not Moving Forward At HBO Max
- Matt Reeves: Batman Series Changes From Gotham PD After Creative Issue - Variety
- "The Batman: TV Spin-Off Will Reportedly Focus on James Gordon" - IGN
- "'The Batman' TV Spinoff From Matt Reeves, Terence Winter Set at HBO Max" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "Terence Winter Exits 'The Batman' TV Spinoff at HBO Max (Exclusive)" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "ARKHAM: THE BATMAN HBO MAX SPIN-OFF SERIES HAS AN INTRIGUING NEW WORKING TITLE: EXCLUSIVE" - The Illuminerdi
- Warner Bros. Reportedly Changes Plans for The Batman's Arkham Asylum ‘Horror’ Spin-off