This article is about upcoming content and is subject to change.
You can help the The Batman Universe Wiki by adding new information when it becomes available.
The Batman is an upcoming superhero film based on the DC Comics superhero of the same name, directed by Matt Reeves. It will focus on the character's second year as the crime fighting vigilante, and is scheduled to be released on March 4, 2022. It is the first film and installment of The Batman Universe.
To be added
- Robert Pattinson as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Zoë Kravitz as Selina Kyle/Catwoman
- Paul Dano as Edward Nashton/Riddler
- Jeffrey Wright as Lieutenant James Gordon
- John Turturro as Don Carmine Falcone
- Peter Sarsgaard as District Attorney Gil Colson
- Barry Keoghan as Officer Stanley Merkel
- Jayme Lawson as Bella Reál
- Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth
- Colin Farrell as Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin
- Alex Ferns as Commissioner Pete Savage
- Con O'Neill as Chief Mackenzie Bock
- Rupert Penry-Jones as Mayor Don Mitchell Jr.
- Gil Perez-Abraham as a to be confirmed character
- Charlie Carver as a to be confirmed character
- Max Carver as a to be confirmed character
- Elliot Warren as a to be confirmed character
- Mark Killeen as a to be confirmed character
- Jay Lycurgo as a to be confirmed character
- North America
- United States of America
- New Jersey
- Gotham City
- Arkham State Hospital
- Battergate (mentioned)
- Eastside Depot
- Empire Theatre
- GCPD Headquarters
- Gotham Bank
- Gotham Cemetery
- Gotham Central Court House
- Gotham Central Park
- Gotham City Hall
- Gotham General Hospital
- Gotham Harbor
- Gotham Orphanage
- Iceberg Lounge
- Wayne Manor
- Wayne Terminus
- Wayne Tower
- Gotham City
- New York (newspaper)
- Metropolis (newspaper)
- New Jersey
- United States of America
- England (mentioned)
- North America
- Ace Chemicals (poster)
- Delicious Poison (poster)
- Falcone Crime Family
- Flower Paradox (poster)
- GC1 Eyewitness News
- Gotham Action News 4 HD
- Gotham City Fire Department
- Gotham City Health Department
- Gotham City Police Department
- Gotham Drug and Drops Resistance
- Gotham Gazette
- Gotham Harbor Iceberg Fishing Co.
- Gotham Renewal Corporation
- Gotham Transit Authority
- Gotham Water & Power
- GothCorp (poster)
- Penguin's Gang
- The Gotham Times
- The Stevensburgh Voice
- Tri Corner Cab
- Wayne Enterprises
- Wayne Family
- Christopher Anderson
- Katie Blakemore (poster)
- Mia Fardy (newspaper)
- William Gotham
- Salvatore Maroni (photos)
- Martha Robinson
- Katie Sharpe (newspaper)
- Frank Smith
- Mildred Smith
- Superman (costume)
- Thomas Wayne
- Wonder Woman (costume)
- Donald C. Wright
In August 2013, Warner Bros. announced that Ben Affleck signed on to play Batman in multiple movies, which included Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League. In mid-2014 rumors started that a standalone Batman film would be developed with a tentative release date of 2019. Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara revealed that many other DC properties were being worked on that weren't part of the official announcements made in August 2014 such as solo films for Batman. Reportedly, Warner Bros. has Ben Affleck lined up to both star and direct a solo Batman movie for release in late 2018 or early 2019. In July 2015, Ben Affleck was reported to direct, write and star in the film, along with Geoff Johns who would also help write the script.
Affleck stated he felt "emboldened" watching Zack Snyder work on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice encouraging him in making a superhero film of his own "I've wondered about directing movies like this before and it was a really valuable learning experience for me to watch Zack do it and see how he did it ... For me, as a director, it's about the material and the characters, so if I found the right material I would definitely throw my hat in the ring to direct something on that scale.".
In April 2016, Kevin Tsujihara confirmed that Ben Affleck will write, direct, and star in the film.
On August 29, 2016, Ben Affleck uploaded a teaser that revealed Deathstroke. Warner Bros later confirmed that the footage was not fake. On September 8th, 2016, Geoff Johns confirmed that Deathstroke will be the villain in the film and that Joe Manganiello will portray him.
In an interview with the associated press, Affleck confirmed that the tentative title of the film would be The Batman.
Joe Manganiello revealed in an interview that filming will begin in Spring 2017. In January 2017, Ben Affleck stepped down as director. On February 23, 2017, it was confirmed that Matt Reeves will direct and produce the film.
In August 2018, Reeves updated that they "are working on getting our draft in the next couple of weeks and things are progressing," with hoping to begin production spring or early summer 2019.
On January 30, 2019, Warner Bros. announced that the film would be released on June 25, 2021.
On May 16, 2019, it was announced that Robert Pattinson and Nicholas Hoult are frontrunners to portray Bruce Wayne/Batman, though nothing is confirmed yet. On May 31, 2019, however, Robert Pattinson was officially approved by Warner Bros. Studios to portray the younger Bruce Wayne/Batman., Some sources have claimed this film will have no connection to the events of Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, and is said to be a complete reboot of the character.
In September 2019, it was revealed that Jeffrey Wright is being eyed for James Gordon and that Jonah Hill is in talks to play a villain in the film, which reports saying that it will either be the Riddler or the Penguin.
On October 2, 2019, it was revealed that Catwoman would be in the film as casting for her had already begun, with Zoë Kravitz, Lupita Nyong’o, Tessa Thompson, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Alexandra Shipp, Logan Browning, Zazie Beetz, Ana de Armas, Ella Balinska, and Eiza Gonzalez on the shortlist. On October 14, 2019, Zoe Kravitz was cast as Catwoman for the film.
On October 17, 2019, Jonah Hill revealed that he was no longer in talks for Riddler or Penguin, instead Paul Dano was cast as the Riddler and Mattson Tomlin was tapped to co-write the script., The same month, it was announced that music composer, Michael Giacchino would compose the film.
On November 13, 2019, Matt Reeves confirmed on Twitter that Andy Serkis will play Alfred Pennyworth. On November 22, 2019, The Hollywood Reporter announced that John Turturro will play Carmine Falcone, while also confirming that Colin Farrell would play the Penguin.
On October 5, 2020, it was announced that The Batman would be delayed once again, and would be pushed back to March 4, 2022.
Filming was scheduled to begin spring 2019 with Affleck attached as producer for the film. On January 4, 2019, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the studio wants to begin filming in November. On January 5, 2020, Jeffrey Wright announced on Twitter that he was off to film The Batman, with set photos being released too.
Principal photography for the film began on January 27, 2020 in London, England and Liverpool, England. On March 14, 2020, production for the film was shut down for two weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, then it was reported that the production would be shut down indefinitely. On August 19, 2020, Variety reported that filming would resume in early September in Leavesden, Hertfordshire, England.
On September 1, 2020, Alex Ferns revealed on his Twitter account that filming had resumed, though his tweet and account were deleted shortly afterwards. Three days later, it was reported that Robert Pattinson was diagnosed with COVID-19, forcing production to be halted once again. The filming crew entered quarantine for the next two weeks, by when filming will resume, while construction on the sets and props at Leavesden Studios continued.
On September 17, 2020, a spokesperson for Warner Bros. Pictures told Variety that filming has officially resumed once again with Pattinson cleared of COVID-19 and that exterior shots and stunt scenes would film in Chicago.
|Something in the Way||Nirvana||
- "Matt Reeves to Direct and Produce “The Batman”" - Business Wire
- Mattson Tomlin Is Co-Writing ‘The Batman’ Script With Matt Reeves
- The Batman - DC FanDome Teaser
- "'The Batman' Enlists Composer Michael Giacchino" - The Hollywood Reporter
- ‘The Batman’ Delayed to 2022, ‘Matrix 4’ Release Moves Up
- The Batman - Everything We Know About the DC Movie Reboot
- "Robert Pattinson Is Officially ‘The Batman’" - Variety
- Matt Reeves Eyeing POC Actress For Catwoman In Robert Pattinson’s ‘The Batman’ (Exclusive)
- EXCLUSIVE: LUPITA NYONG’O, TESSA THOMPSON, GUGU MBATHA-RAW, ALEXANDRA SHIPP, LOGAN BROWNING ON SHORTLIST FOR CATWOMAN IN ‘THE BATMAN’
- "Zoe Kravitz to Star as Catwoman in 'The Batman'" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "'The Batman' Casts Paul Dano as The Riddler" - The Hollywood Reporter
- The Batman Eyes Jonah Hill, Possibly for Penguin or Riddler
- "'The Batman' Targets Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon (Exclusive)" - The Hollywood Reporter
- The Batman: Reported Casting Could Reveal Spoilers About Jim Gordon
- "'The Batman' Casts John Turturro as Crime Boss Carmine Falcone" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "‘The Batman’: Warner Bros. Reveals Peter Sarsgaard & Jayme Lawson’s Roles" - Heroic Hollywood
- "'The Batman' Trailer Officially Released" - Youtube
- Exclusive: ‘The Batman’ Adds Up-and-Coming Juilliard Grad Jayme Lawson
- The Batman Just Added an Intriguing New Character
- Batman Director Confirms Andy Serkis as Alfred
- Colin Farrell officially joins The Batman cast as villain Penguin
- ‘Chernobyl’ Star Alex Ferns Joins The Cast Of Matt Reeves ‘The Batman’
- ‘THE BATMAN’: ALEX FERNS REPORTEDLY PLAYING COMMISSIONER PETE SAVAGE
- Spooks star Rupert Penry-Jones confirms role in The Batman
- The Batman Adds Gil Perez-Abraham in Secret Role
- Wonder Twin powers, activate! The Batman adds Teen Wolf's Max and Charlie Carver
- The Batman | Elliot Warren and Mark Killeen join the cast
- The Batman Actors Wrap Filming
- "HOT RUMOR! What's In Store For Ben Affleck's Batman" - LRM Online
- "Batman And Superman Are Getting More Movies Than We Thought" - CINEMABLEND
- "'Batman v Superman' yields unlikely female hero" - Yahoo News
- "CinemaCon: Warner Bros. Chief Says Ben Affleck's Stand-Alone Batman Movie Is a Go" - The Hollywood Reporter
- "Joe Manganiello Will Play Deathstroke in Ben Affleck’s Batman Movie" - The Wall Street Journal
- "Ben Affleck Confirms Batman Solo Film is Titled The Batman" - Screenrant
- "EXCLUSIVE: Joe Manganiello Doing 'Great' After Health Scare, Prepping for 'Batman' Movie" - Entertainment Tonight
- "Ben Affleck Will Not Direct ‘The Batman’ (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety
- "Matt Reeves’ ‘The Batman’ Gets June 2021 Release Date" - Variety
- "Robert Pattinson to Play ‘The Batman’ for Matt Reeves and Warner Bros. (EXCLUSIVE)" - Variety
- Colin Farrell In Talks To Play Penguin, Rounding Out ‘The Batman’ Villain Trio
- "‘Batman’ Moves To October, Will Smith And Tom Hanks’ Biopics Get Delayed And ‘Shazam 2’ Avoids Superhero Competition" - Forbes
- 'The Batman' Will Reportedly Start Filming Next Year With Ben Affleck as a Producer
- Jeffrey Wright Begins Work On Matt Reeves ‘The Batman’
- The Batman Set Photos Tease A New Vision Of Gotham
- The Batman: First Set Photos Reveal Look at Matt Reeves' Film
- ‘The Batman’ Production Put On Two-Week Hold By Warner Bros.
- The Batman Director Matt Reeves Confirms Production Is Shut Down Indefinitely
- Robert Pattinson’s ‘The Batman’ Resuming Production in September
- ‘The Batman’ UK Production Halted After Robert Pattinson Tests Positive For Coronavirus – Update
- ‘The Batman’ Production Remains Paused as Cast, Crew Quarantine
- ‘The Batman’ Resumes Production After Shutdown Over Robert Pattinson’s Positive COVID-19 Test
- The Batman Will Continue Filming Until Early 2021
- "'The Batman' Has Officially Wrapped Production" - The Hollywood Reporter
- Robert Pattinson and Colin Farrell head to Glasgow to shoot final Batman scenes - Daily Record